Customer services privacy notice
1. Council contact details
1.1. West Northamptonshire Council
One Angel Square
Tel: 0300 126 7000
1.2. Email: [email protected]
2. Information that we hold
2.1. We collect and process the following categories of information:
- Names and addresses
- Contact details such as telephone numbers and email addresses
- Records of correspondence and contact
- Relevant information to enable us to deal with your enquiry, including any of the following categories of data, some of which may be special category data:
- criminal convictions or proceedings
- medical history or health data
- gender / race / ethnic origin
- current situation, lifestyle and circumstance
- financial information including economic status, income and expenditure details (for example the benefits received)
- identification documents
- visual images, appearance and behaviour
- trade union membership
- sex life or sexual orientation
- political affiliation or opinions
- religious or other beliefs
- family details
- employment and/or education details
- identifiers, such as account numbers, NHS number
3. How the information is obtained
3.1. Most of your personal information we process is provided to us directly by you via email, written correspondence, telephone, webchat, online forms or face to face with our staff.
We may also collect and process information about you which has been provided by a third party, eg. your landlord, an agent or representative, a professional working on your behalf such as a healthcare organisation or education provider.
3.2. There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations
- you have requested a service from us which the council delivers as a task in the public interest
- you have entered into a contract with us
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent
The Council relies on the following lawful basis when processing any special category data for:
- the provision of health or social care
- reasons of substantial public interest
4. What we do with the information
4.1. We use the information that you have given us to:
- process requests for services provided by the council, to enable the delivery of services and support for customers and other service users
- respond to reports of issues
- deal with complaints or queries
- signpost to other relevant services or providers
- provide information regarding council services
- deal with queries relating to accounts or contracts held with the council
- process financial transactions or payments
- manage and monitor Services
- make decisions
4.2. Your personal information will only be processed for the purpose it was provided. However, we may share this information with the following parties where the law allows or requires it:
- commissioned service providers to support the delivery of services
- other service areas within the council relevant to the purpose of your contact
- law enforcement organisations such as the Police, Government Agencies or other Local Authorities with investigative powers
- social landlords
- Northamptonshire Children’s Trust
- family members or other associated where lawfully permitted
- healthcare, social and welfare organisations
- care homes and care providers
- Ombudsman and other regulatory authorities
- MPs, Councillors and other elected representatives when acting on your behalf
- Government agencies or departments such as the Cabinet Office, HMRC, the Department for Work & Pensions, Office for National Statistics, Public Health England
- other local authorities
- credit reference agencies
- Disclosure and Barring Service
- software suppliers under contract
5. How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1. We keep your personal information for the purpose of customer contact in line with the council’s corporate retention schedule and departmental guidelines. Information which is shared with other teams within the council may have a different retention period.
5.2. We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6. How we store your information
6.1. Your information is securely stored within our electronic systems and can only be accessed by employees with the correct level of training and authorisation.
7. Your data protection rights
7.1. The law gives you a number of rights to control what personal information is used by us and how we can use it. Please see section 15 of the council’s Corporate Privacy Notice for further information.
7.2. Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3. If you have previously given your consent to the processing of your personal data (for example you have signed up to a mailing list or you have given permission for a representative to act on your behalf) you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. To do this, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
8. Who to contact
8.1. If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights, or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
You can contact the ICO at any time during the complaint process. For further information, please visit the ICO website.
This privacy notice was completed on 15 March 2021.
The privacy notice review date is March 2022.