Parking service privacy notice
1 Council contact details
1.1 West Northamptonshire Council
One Angel Square
Tel: 0300 126 7000
This privacy notice concerns the processing of personal data that takes place by the Parking Service Team for the provision of parking services and civil parking enforcement, and the discharge of the Council’s statutory obligations.
2 Information that we hold
2.1 Information we collect and hold about you
The information we may collect includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- vehicle registration number
- contact details including phone numbers and email addresses
- photographic and camera or video evidence to support a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) (parking and bus lane)
- images of you if the Civil Enforcement Officer has activated their body worn video camera or camera or video footage recorded as part of bus lane enforcement
- contact we have had with you, such as any correspondence (incoming and outgoing) relating to all aspects of the service
- proof of residency or vehicle ownership (permit applications)
- payment information (PCN's, permits, waivers or dispensations and suspensions)
- evidence to support investigations or prosecutions into allegations of permit and / or blue badge misuse and abuse
- evidence to support investigations into complaints received in the service
- call recordings of incoming and outgoing calls to or from 0345 680 0153 (option 2)
Your personal data may be converted ('anonymised') into statistical or aggregated data in such a way as to ensure that you are not identified in any way from it. Aggregated data cannot, by definition, be linked back to you as an individual. This data might be used to conduct research and analysis, including to prepare statistical research and reports.
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you
3.2 What is the legal basis for us to process your data?
- Contract – carrying out of a contract to which you are a party (permits, parking waivers or dispensations and suspensions)
- Legal obligation under the Traffic Management Act 2004, the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and the Transport Act 2000
- Public task – in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority
4 What we do with the information
4.1 How your information will be used
- Process challenges or representations and appeals in respect of Penalty Charge Notices (PCN’s) (parking and bus lane)
- Process applications for parking permits, waivers, dispensations and suspensions
- Investigate and prosecute (if applicable) cases including allegations of permit and blue badge abuse and misuse
- Process postal payments for PCN's, permits, waivers, dispensations and suspensions
- Investigate complaints received in relation to the service
- For the administration of all aspects relating to this service or function
NSL on behalf of WNC
- Carry out parking enforcement activities under contract
Imperial Civil Enforcement Solutions (ICES) on behalf of WNC
- Parking, bus lane and permit software hosted by Imperial under contract
- Parking and permit software hosted by Imperial under contract
- Provision of a DVLA bureau service to obtain registered keeper details as part of the legislative process
- Bus Lane enforcement software hosted by Videalert under contract – data transferred for PCN’s to ICES software for processing by WNC
Cobalt Telephone Technologies on behalf of WNC
- Take payments for PCNs (automated telephone system)
DataCash on behalf of WNC
- Take payments for PCNs and permits (web payments)
Adelante on behalf of WNC
- Take payments for PCNs and permits (web payments)
Enforcement Agents (Jacobs & Newlyn Plc and Marstons) on behalf of WNC
- Recovery of PCNs
4.2 Who your information may be shared with
We may share your information with:
- North Northamptonshire Council
- NSL Services Group as our enforcement contractor
- Imperial Civil Enforcement Solutions as our software provider
- Videalert as our camera and software provider
- DVLA to identify the registered keeper to enforce a PCN
(PCN’s issued up to & including 30 May 2022 in accordance with The Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007) and The Bus Lane Contraventions (Penalty Charges, adjudication and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2005. PCN’s issued since 31 May 2022 in accordance with The Civil Enforcement of Road Traffic Contraventions (Approved Devices, Charging Guidelines and General Provisions) (England) Regulations 2022).
- The Traffic Penalty Tribunal regarding PCN appeals and Witness Statements
- The Traffic Enforcement Centre to register PCN's as part of the statutory process
- Enforcement Agents to recover PCN debt - currently Jacobs, Marstons & Newlyn Plc
- Cobalt Telephone Technologies – automated telephone PCN payments
- DataCash – web PCN and permit payments
- Adelante – web PCN and permit payments
- Other Local Authorities including departments within WNC
- Regulatory and statutory bodies
- Law enforcement agencies in connection with the prevention and detection of crime
- National Fraud Initiative (NFI) (Permits)*
- Any body deemed necessary to enable us to carry out our service or function
*WNC is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. We will share information provided to us with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud. Details of this can be found in the Commission's National Fraud Initiative guidance.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We keep your personal information for all aspects of processing in line with the council’s retention schedules.
Closed, cancelled or written off PCNs will have its data purged after 2 years. Data for unpaid PCN's is stored for 6 years.
Supporting evidence for permit applications remains on file for as long as permits are required. This is so that permit renewals can be processed without the need for requesting documents every year. If you wish to exercise your right to erasure (right to be forgotten) then you will not be permitted to renew your permit and will be required to submit a new application each time providing supporting residency or vehicle ownership proof with every application.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with the council's retention schedules.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems.
7 Your data protection rights
7.1 The law gives you a number of rights to control what personal information is used by us and how we can use it. Please see section 15 of the council’s Corporate Privacy Notice for further information.
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact Data Protection Officer.
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
Completion and review dates
This privacy notice was completed on May 2022.
The privacy notice review date is March 2023.
Last updated 06 July 2023